TRADING WEAKNESSES

 1.EMOTIONS:

The good news here is that with more experience you will get better at managing your emotions, the bad news is that you will never get to a level where you just don't feel anything and trade like a robot. For example, Stanley Druckenmiller, a billionaire macro
trader, once got hurt badly because he FOMO()ed into the dot.com bubble even if he had 30 years of experience.
The way I fixed this, is by having a macro fundamental approach to my trades. I started as a pure technician, but luckily I found out early that it's just not enough.
When you know why something should go one way or the other, you will have less emotional pressure. Your emotions are generally impacted because you don't know WHY you're in a trade and especially because you may have never had a positive year.


2.ENTRIES

This is another weakness I fixed with a macro approach. I recently made a post on timing the market with fundamental catalysts. I just find it easier to enter the market in line with my big picture view when I actually have a reason to enter at that precise moment. If I see the trade isn't working out as expected and the price even breaks some strong levels I marked, I just cut the trade and move on.You can still have a fundamental big picture view and time the market with technicals, but the problem 
here is that you don't really know what technical level or setup will work and thus you may get stopped out more than once before you get it right. And the more 
you get stopped out, the bigger your drawdown will be and the less confidence you will have.


3.GREED

Guess what? I fixed this problem with fundamentals as well. When the reasons I got into a trade change, then I move accordingly. For example, I recently shorted WTI OIL because of the big miss in the US Jobless Claims and the trade moved in my favour.Although I never have targets, I was eyeing the recent low at $64 for this trade, but the next day I saw that the big jump in claims was related to fraud attempts in Massachusetts, so it wasn't really a big miss if you exclude Massachusetts data. So, I closed the trade even if I was in profit. If I held the trade just because of greed, Ivwould have lost all the gains.


4.REVENGE AND OVERTRADING: 

Again I may sound repetitive but most of my 
weaknesses have been fixed by adding macro fundamentals to my trading. 
In fact, both of these problems can be fixed by just waiting for the right catalyst. In the meantime, you can do whatever you want. If you rely solely on technicals, you may just go down to trade the I minute timeframe and start overtrading, but if you actually wait for the right catalyst, you won't overtrade. 
Regarding the revenge part, it has mostly to do with unrealistic expectations. You WILL have losses, so your job is to keep them small. Also, don't believe to people telling you that you can make like 10%/month 
consistently. It's all BS.


5. MOVING THE STOP LOSS: 

Finally something that talks about technicals right? Look, everyone has its own trade management method. Some move the SL behind every new swing point, some others place the SL below/above strong technical levels. I just move it to breakeven at some point and keep it there. That's because if the trade goes in my favour, and the reasons I got in are still very valid, I don't want to get stopped out prematurely because of a 
bigger pullback. I can also take some profits off the table while the trade is running. 
If you are just day trading, fine, moving the SL behind the swing points should do the job, but it's not for me.


6.OTHER

The other weaknesses you shared were: 
fundamentals, intepreting news releases, filtering the noise, having the right bias and not having a plan. These are all interrelated. The only thing that fixes them is knowledge and experience. You cannot pretend to become good at trading after just a few 
months or a year. People study 5 years or more to become doctors, lawyers or to become good at playing the piano. It takes time. Trading is a job, sure it can be a very rewarding job but it's still a job. I know very well that most poeple have unrealistic expectations from trading because on social media influencers and marketers need to 
sell a dream. I can't change your mind, but maybe I can make you reflect. 9/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HEAD AND SHOULDERS PATTERN

5 USEFUL POSITION TIPS FOR TRADING

Fibonacci fan explained